NATURE OF LIGHT
Newtons corpuscular theory of light
|Newtons corpuscular theory of light
is based on the following points
1. Light consists of very tiny particles known as corpuscular.
2. These corpuscles on emission from the source of light travel in straight line with high velocity
3. When these particles enter the eyes, they produce image of the object or sensation of vision.
4. Corpuscles of different colours have different sizes.
Huygens wave theory of light
|In 1679, Christian Huygens proposed the
wave theory of light.
According to huygens wave theory:
1. Each point in a source of light sends out waves in all directions in hypothetical medium called "ETHER".
2. Light is a form of energy
3. Light travels in the form of waves.
4. A medium is necessary for the propagation of waves & the whole space is filled with an imaginary medium called Ether
5. Light waves have very short wave length
For latest information , free computer courses and high impact notes visit : www.citycollegiate.com
Quantum theory of light
|Quantum theory was put forward by MAX-PLANCK
According to quantum theory
Energy radiated or absorbed can not have any fractional value. This energy must be an integral multiple of a fixed quantity of energy. This quantity is called QUANTUM
Energy released or absorbed is always in the form of packets of energy or bundles of energy. These packets of energy are known as QUANTA or PHOTONS
|For latest information , free computer courses and high impact notes visit : www.citycollegiate.com|