He, Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe and Rn are the elements of group VIII-A.
2. They are also called Noble Gases or Inert Gases or
Zero Group Elements.
3. They have eight electrons in their valence shell
except helium (Z=2).
4. Their valence shell are complete.
They are chemically inert.
6. They have high values of Ionization Potential.
7. Noble gases are diamagnetic due to absence of unpaired
8. They are monoatomic gases.
8. They are colorless and odourless gases.
9. All these are present in our atmosphere except radon.
10. Noble gases are quite soluble in water.
11. Some noble gases form compounds with fluorine and
oxygen but these reactions take place under extreme
12. Helium is used for filling balloons due to its lightness.
13. Neon is used in neon lamps and neon sign.
14. Argon is used in electric bulbs.
15. Radon is radioactive.